Breakingviews seeks Washington columnist
The world’s leading provider of real-time financial commentary is seeking a columnist to enhance its agenda-setting coverage of the U.S. capital. This is a unique role within the Washington press corps, especially heading into a presidential election. It’s an opportunity to break away from the day-to-day horse race and focus exclusively on the economic and financial issues that matter most to a high-level global audience.
We are looking for a thoughtful commentator to help shape opinion at the intersection of Wall Street and Washington. Breakingviews wants someone who can think creatively about monetary policy, financial regulation, government budgets and trade issues, and who isn’t intimidated by tight deadlines, economic figures, financial statements, senior sources or brevity. Coverage of broad policy issues such as the minimum wage and infrastructure spending, along with the defense sector, also will be part of the remit.
The ideal candidate has a good ear for stories that resonate with government officials, regulators and financial professionals around the world. Strong analytical and financial skills, combined with a developed capacity to navigate the many and varied corridors of power in Washington – and the ability to debate vigorously with the people walking them are a must. The right candidate will be able to combine insight and speed to generate a regular flow of provocative ideas and deliver commentary that gets decision-makers talking and forces other analysts and columnists to follow Breakingviews.
Building on our reputation for accuracy, clarity and sophisticated insight, the Breakingviews columnist will have access to senior policymakers, razor-sharp analytical skills, a knack for generating original ideas and the skill to explain complex concepts in clear and engaging prose. The role involves:
- Writing strong views on policy and finance, both responding rapidly to breaking news and setting the agenda.
- Developing contacts with members of the administration and Congress, White House and legislative staff, regulators, economists and financial professionals.
- Working closely with other Breakingviews columnists in New York and the rest of the world to identify important topics and trends.
- Presenting ideas in fresh and interesting ways, such as developing our popular range of interactive calculators and graphics.
The successful applicant will have:
- Desire to generate agenda-setting ideas for a global financial audience
- Confidence to dig into financial statements
- Ability to deliver punchy, well-argued opinions on tight deadlines
- Willingness to build on existing knowledge and, over time, write on a wider range of subjects.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us. Apply for the position here.