We’re looking for a talented thinker and writer who can craft insightful well-sourced views on Chinese business, finance and economics to join our global team.
Reuters Breakingviews has an unrivalled reputation for delivering clear, punchy, insightful commentary for a global financial audience. As part of Reuters, we combine access to high-level contacts with the highest standards of independence and accuracy.
You will be full of original ideas; enjoy cross-border collaboration; and bring a high level of numeracy. You will be an experienced journalist or analyst who is able to respond rapidly to breaking news as well set the agenda. You will be ready to unpick economic and financial developments, while being equally enthusiastic about the details of a big M&A deal or debt restructuring.
Though writing experience is a distinct advantage, a deep curiosity about the inner workings of finance, a ready supply of original ideas and the ability to slice through complex concepts are more important.
A firm grasp of the Chinese economy, its business and financial landscape, plus a good working knowledge of Chinese language, are a must.
Our preferred location for this role is Hong Kong or mainland China, but there is some flexibility for strong candidates based elsewhere.
As China Columnist you will:
- Research and write punchy and original views on Chinese business, finance and economics which set the agenda
- Develop and maintain contacts with senior executives, financiers, and policymakers.
- Present your ideas and research in fresh and interesting ways, including through video, podcasts and graphics.
- Work with our global team of columnists and editors to explore topical ideas and illuminate cross-border themes.
To be our China Columnist you will have:
- A firm understanding of how Chinese companies and financial markets work, and a grasp of basic concepts of corporate finance
- The ability to formulate strong, well-argued opinions under tight deadlines
- High-level contacts among corporate executives, bankers, investors, and policymakers
- Experience of presenting your views to a sophisticated financial audience
- The highest standards of editorial integrity and professionalism
- A good working knowledge of Chinese